Incoming Steps for Military/Veterans/Dependents
No Application Fees, In-state tuition and Fees Rate, Pre-Priority Registration. If you are currently serving, 50% Tuition Only Discount!
Before starting your application, have either your DoDID, VetID, Discharge Certificate (DDFm214), most recent Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), or StateID with "Veteran" identifier scanned so that you can upload them or email them to our department.
1) Submit an Application
- Apply Online: http://admissions.wayne.edu/apply-now.php
- Do not pay any Application Fee. The application fee is waived for veterans and military. Also for dependents using VA Educational Benefits.
- Proof of Military Service: Submit any of these; DD Form 214, VetID, Current LES, DoDID or StateID with Veteran logo. - any of these canbe uploaded directly to your application using the provided tool. In cases where you do not have the means to do this on your own, you can submit to this office via email (email@example.com). Once this is completed your Application fee will be waived.
- For Undergraduates Only: Request and submit appropriate OFFICIAL Military Transcript
- Request and Submit all other OFFICIAL transcripts from any institution that you attended before, during or after the military, whether it was in person, online, CONUS or OCONUS including the Air Force Community College to here: Transfer Credit
2) While you are waiting to get Admitted
- If you have already activated your VA Educational Benefits or you are using Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits
- Fax or email us a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility for the GI Bill, VAFm 28-1905 for Vocational Rehabilitation or a NOBE for Selected Reserve GI Bill for our records. In most cases, you can login to your eBenefits account and send us a screen shot of your entitlement.
- If you have not activated your VA Educational Benefits Go here: Vets.gov
- Complete FAFSA here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ - It is strongly suggested that you apply for Federal Financial Aid regardless whether or not you will be accepting it. This must be done to apply for many private Grants, Loans and Scholarships offered to service members and their dependents.
- For more information, we suggest this resource guide: http://www.rspfunding.com/f/VeteransIntro.PDF. You can view this resource in its entirety in the SVRC.
3) Once you have received your Admittance Letter
- You will activate your Wayne State account by logging into Academica here: a.wayne.edu. Logging in for the first time questions: AccessID and Password
- Undergraduate Academic Advising appointments are made through our AdvisingWorks Appointment system (AdvisingWorks.wayne.edu). You will log in with your Wayne State AccessID and new Password.
- As soon as you log in, you will see a button that says "Get Advising". Click it and then select "1. Make an Appointment with My Assigned Advisor". This will take you directly to your assigned Academic Advisor based on your selected major
- Your Academic Advisor will need to provide you with a Plan of Work or a signed printout from DegreeWorks. They will know exactly what this is and they will also let you know if you need any placement testing.
- Once you have met with assigned Academic Advisor, you will use the same appointment system to meet with a VA School Certifying Official (VASCO). This time you will select "5. Other Academic Advising (Honors, Veterans)"
- The VASCO will also help you with all Veteran related advising issues.
- The VASCO will need a copy of the Plan of Work and a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA if you intend on using any VA Educational Benefits
- If you need placement testing, inform the VASCO.
- Attend a Transfer Orientation or schedule a Schedule a Campus Tour to acclimate yourself with Wayne State University.
- There will be Veteran Specific Informational Meetings throughout the year. You can find the schedule here: RSVP for an upcoming Informational Meeting
4) Once you have registered for Classes
- The VA School Certifying Official (VASCO) will need you to complete a Request for VA Certification Form http://omvae.wayne.edu/va-certification.php
- Change of Program or Place of Training Form. (Only if Changing Schools or Changing Academic Programs) It can be found here: https://www.vets.gov/education/apply-for-education-benefits/application/1995/introduction
- Third Party Agreement: Wayne State needs you to Print and Complete the Third-Party Tuition Assistance Agreement then turn it in to the Welcome Center or you can find it in Student Veterans Resource Center. (Only if you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch33 and 33T) or Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch31))
5) Now that you are ready, Get Connected!
- Visit the Student Veterans Resource Center and the Student Veterans Organization on the 6th Floor of the Student Center Building. Visit us on Facebook