Incoming Steps for Military/Veterans/Dependents
Before starting your application, have either your Discharge Certificate (DDFm214) or your most recent Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) scanned so that you can upload them or email them to our department.
1) Submit an Application
- Apply Online: http://admissions.wayne.edu/apply-now.php
- Do not pay any Application Fee. The application fee is waived for veterans and military. Also for dependents using VA Educational Benefits.
- Submit DD Form 214 or Most Recent LES - These can be submitted to this office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax to 313-577-5020. Once this is completed your $25.00 Application fee will be waived.
- Request and submit appropriate OFFICIAL Military Transcript
- Request and Submit all other OFFICIAL transcripts from any institution that you attended before, during or after the military, whether it was in person, online, CONUS or OCONUS including the Air Force Community College to here: Transfer Credit
2) While you are waiting to get Admitted
- If you have already activated your VA Educational Benefits or you are using Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits
- Fax or email us a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility for the GI Bill, VAFm 28-1905 for Vocational Rehabilitation or a NOBE for Selected Reserve GI Bill for our records. In most cases, you can login to your eBenefits account and send us a screen shot of your entitlement.
- If you have not activated your VA Educational Benefits Go here: VONAPP
- Complete FAFSA here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ - It is strongly suggested that you apply for Federal Financial Aid regardless whether or not you will be accepting it. This must be done to apply for many private Grants, Loans and Scholarships offered to service members and their dependents.
- For more information, we suggest this resource guide: http://www.rspfunding.com/f/VeteransIntro.PDF. You can view this resource in its entirety in the SVRC.
3) Once you have received your Admittance Letter
- Activate your Wayne State Email (https://computing.wayne.edu/email/) – All future correspondence from Wayne State University will go there.
- Schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor to plan out your educational goals - Get a complete Plan of Work signed by your Academic Advisor and register for your 1st term classes through Pipeline. How to Register
- Attend a Transfer Orientation or schedule a Schedule a Campus Tour to acclimate yourself with Wayne State -
- There will be Veteran Specific Informational Meetings throughout the year. You can find the schedule here: RSVP for an upcoming Informartional Meeting
4) Once you have registered for Classes
- The VA School Certifying Official (VASCO) needs the following forms:
- Change of Program or Place of Training Form. (Only if Changing Schools) It can be found here: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1995-ARE.pdf or you can find it in Student Veterans Resource Center. Complete it and drop it off right there. We need this on file here at Wayne State.
- Third Party Agreement: Wayne State needs you to Print and Complete the Third-Party Tuition Assistance Agreement then turn it in to the Welcome Center or you can find it in Student Veterans Resource Center. (Only if you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch33 and 33T) or Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch31))
5) Now that you are ready, Get Connected!
- Visit the Student Veterans Resource Center and the Student Veterans Organization on the 6th Floor of the Student Center Building. Visit us on Facebook