Vet Success Services
The Vet Success Services (VSS) program at Wayne State University serves over 120 student veterans each year. Through a grant competition, funds were awarded to provide academic development, to assist students with basic college requirements, and to motivate student veterans towards the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The primary goal of the Wayne State VSS program is to increase college retention and graduation rates of its veteran participants. An application process is available for students interested in the program.
The Vet Success Services (VSS) Program will provide academic support services to create trust-based relationships with veteran students. We will gain this trust through regular dialogue, empathetic listening, and collaboration. By visiting and revisiting what is working, we will celebrate success as we hone each relationship to meet each student's dynamically changing needs.
The mission of the Vet Success Services (VSS) program is to form a partnership with veteran students through a comprehensive academic support program to increase college retention and graduation at Wayne State University. This partnership will serve as the foundation to encourage and empower students to overcome barriers to success in higher education.
You may be eligible for the program if you meet any combination of the following:
- You are a prior-service veteran currently not serving in the military.
- You are a first-generation college student (parents with no Bachelor Degree).
- You meet income eligibility guidelines.
- You have a documented military disability.
- You are pursuing a Bachelor Degree outside of the medical and law profession.
Our services include but are not limited to the following:
- Success coaching (individual mentoring tailored to academic and personal needs)
- Career planning and assessment assistance (course decision making assistance)
- Tutoring (facilitation of tutoring services based on individual needs)
- Study and self-Improvement workshops. (various workshops)
- Graduate Enrollment Assistance
Whom do I contact with questions or Inquiries?
- For VSS questions contact Jaime Lopez
- For VSS or Benefit questions contact Joshua McGruther
- For general information contact Matthew McLain
- VSS Application
- Career Services
- Student Disability Services
- Academic Success Center
- Find a Benefits Counselor (MVAA)
- Veteran Readiness and Employment Services (VR&E)