Military Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Notice: Federal tuition assistance is distinct from all other veteran affairs education benefits and financial aid. Federal tuition assistance recipients should first contact their respective education service officer to seek approval prior to registering for classes.

If you have not already sent your application through the proper DOD channel, click on the appropriate link to your service:

If you have completed your application, please save a copy of your authorization/voucher as a pdf file and fill out your Request for FTA Certification form:

FTA Certification form

Tuition Assistance Top Up

Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty, and don't plan to continue your education after service. Top-up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill® benefits for after service to complete your education program.

Tuition Assistance Top Up

Need help?

If so, please contact your unit's education officer for assistance.

Michigan State Tuition Assistance (MING STAP)

Submit your application to the State of Michigan, if you haven't already done so. 

Please be advised that, effective Fall 2020, MING STAP will be transitioning back to a reimbursement program.  As such, our office will no longer be processing MING STAP invoice requests. Additionally, there will no longer be deferments for MING STAP funds.

Need help?

If you need help with this application: Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program

Return of Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) Benefit

If the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) benefit is used to pay for service members tuition and fees and the service member withdraws from a class prior to completing 60 percent of the class, the Department of Defense requires that Wayne State University return any unearned TA funds to the department based on the percentage of the course that has been completed. Service members may owe a portion of the tuition to WSU and a portion to the military branch. If the service member officially withdraws from the course, the amount of unearned TA funds is calculated from the date of the withdrawal.

TA eligibility is determined based on the following formula:

The percent of TA earned equals the Days Completed before Withdrawal or Last Participation divided by the Total Number of Days of the Course."