Incoming steps for new students

No application fees, in-state tuition and fees rate, pre-priority registration. If you are currently serving, 50% Tuition Only Discount!

Application directions

Before starting your application, have either your DoDID, VetID, Discharge Certificate (DD 214), most recent Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), or StateID with "Veteran" identifier scanned so that you can upload them or email them to our department.

Step 1 - Submit an application

  1. Apply Online:
  2. Do not pay any Application Fee. The application fee is waived for veterans and military. Also for dependents using VA Educational Benefits.
  3. Proof of Military Service: Submit any of these; DD 214, VetID, Current LES, DoDID or StateID with Veteran logo. - any of these can be uploaded directly to your application using the provided tool. In cases where you do not have the means to do this on your own, you can submit to this office via email ( Once this is completed your Application fee will be waived.
  4. For Undergraduates Only: Request and submit appropriate OFFICIAL Military Transcript
    1. JST - Joint Service Transcripts -
    2. How to do it video:
    3. Community College of Air Force doesn't use JST. You will need to order CCAF from here: CCAF Transcripts Request
  5. Request and Submit all other OFFICIAL transcripts from any institution that you attended before, during or after the military, whether it was in person, online, CONUS or OCONUS including the Air Force Community College to here: Transfer Credit

Step 2 - While you are waiting to get admitted

  1. If you have already activated your VA Educational Benefits or you are using VR&E Benefits
  2. Fax or email us a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility for the GI Bill® or a NOBE for Selected Reserve GI Bill® for our records. In most cases, you can login to your eBenefits account and send us a screenshot of your entitlement.
  3. If you have not activated your VA Educational Benefits Go here:
  4. Complete FAFSA here: - It is strongly suggested that you apply for Federal Financial Aid regardless of whether or not you will be accepting it. This must be done to apply for many private Grants, Loans and Scholarships offered to service members and their dependents.

Step 3 - Once you have received your admittance letter

  1. You will activate your Wayne State account by logging into Academica here: Logging in for the first time questions: AccessID and Password
  2. Academic Advising appointments are made through our STARS Appointment system ( You will log in with your Wayne State AccessID and new Password.
    1. First select "Schedule an Appointment". Then under "Department", select "Appointment with my Assigned Advisor". This will take you directly to your assigned Academic Advisor based on your selected major.
    2. Your Academic Advisor will need to provide you with a Plan of Work or a signed printout from DegreeWorks. They will know exactly what this is and they will also let you know if you need any placement testing.
  3. Once you have met with your assigned Academic Advisor, you will use the same appointment system to meet with a VA School Certifying Official (SCO). This time you will seelct "Other Academic Advising (Honors, Veterans, Warrior Way Back)".
    1. The SCO will also help you with all Veteran related advising issues.
    2. The SCO will need a copy of the Plan of Work and a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA if you intend on using any VA Educational Benefits.
  4. If you are currently or planning to utilize Chapter 31 (VR&E) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) benefits, complete the following Vet Success Services Application to receive additional academic support such as Free Online Tutoring and Free Student Technology.
  5. Attend an Orientation or schedule a Campus Tour to acclimate yourself with Wayne State University.
  6. Register for courses at, uttilizing the following walkthrough video How to Browse, Register, and Drop Courses.
  7. There will be Veteran Specific Informational Meetings throughout the year. You can find the schedule here: RSVP for an upcoming Informational Meeting

Step 4 - Once you have registered for classes

  1. Request VA Certification: For those utilizing VA Educational benefits (including Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment benefits), complete a Request for VA Certification Form:
  2. Change of Program/Place of Training: If you have changed schools or if you have changed your academic program since the last time you requested certification, complete the applicable Change of Program or Place of Training Form.
  3. Company Sponsored Tuition Payment Agreement: For Those utilizing Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits or Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment benefits, Print and Complete the Company Sponsored Tuition Payment Agreement and email to Student Accounts Receivable at 
    1. Company Sponsored Tuition Payment Agreement Form Example:

Step 5 - Now that you are ready, get connected!

  1. Visit the Student Veterans Resource Center and the Student Veterans Organization on the 6th Floor of the Student Center Building. Visit us on Facebook